US Open 2014: Can Roger Federer take his Grand Slam tally to 18?
Zee Media Bureau/Chaitan Papnai
New Delhi: The Swiss Maestro, Roger Federer, will once again bid to clinch his 18th Grand Slam title during the US Open, which is scheduled to kick-start from August 25.
FedEx has recently defeated Spaniard David Ferrer to pocket his sixth Cincinnati title, which was also his 80th career crown.
Flushing Meadow was once his favourite hunting ground, as he went on to win five consecutive US Open titles there from 2004-2008.
Along with the Federer`s sublime form, another factor that might favour the Swiss is that reigning champion, Rafael Nadal, is not participating in the event due to a wrist injury. It makes FedEx one of the top contenders to win the title to complete his much awaited 18th major.
Federer can also take heart from the fact that top ranked Novak Djokovic too is struggling to find his form. On the hard court last two tournaments the Serb played in Toronto and Cincinnati, he lost in the third round on both occasions. On the other hand, 2012 US Open champion, Andy Murray too, is not on the top of his game. In fact, the Scott hasn`t reached the final of any major since his historic 2013 Wimbledon triumph.
Along with Federer, world number one women`s tennis player Serena Williams too is looking forward to clinch her 18th career major during the US Open. The American will be spurred on by the home crowd in her quest. Both veterans of the game are in a great position to make this an historic event.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials