US Open: Leander Paes-Radek Stepanek in men's doubles 2nd round
Veteran Indian tennis star Leander Paes and Czech partner Radek Stepanek entered the US Open men's doubles prequarterfinals with a straight-set victory in the second round here.
New York: Veteran Indian tennis star Leander Paes and Czech partner Radek Stepanek entered the US Open men's doubles prequarterfinals with a straight-set victory in the second round here.
The sixth seeded pairing defeated Chinese Taipei's Yen Hsun-Lu and Czech Republic's Jiri Vesley 7-6 (3) 6-3 in a contest which lasted an hour and 23 minutes.
In the intensely contested opening set, both the teams exchanged a break of serve and were guilty of committing an equal number of unforced errors.
Lu and Vesley, however, gave away easy points by committing as many as four double faults, eventually falling short in the tie-breaker.
But Paes and Stepanek dominated the second set, clinching two break points and being distinctly better on their second serve.
The sixth seeds will next take on the winners of the match between 11th-seeded Spanish pair of Marcel Granollers and Marc Lopez and the Dutch team of Robin Haase and Igor Sisling.
In the junior competition, Ojasvinee Singh entered the second round of qualifiers after beating local favourite Alexandra Sanford 6-3 6-2.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi court reserves order on criminal complaint against Arvind Kejriwal
- Fishermen killing case: Accused Italian marine Salvatore Girone returns home from India
- Pakistan may seek India's help in curbing terror: Rajnath Singh
- Leander Paes-Martina Hingis pair enters 2016 French Open mixed-doubles quarters
- Bihar Board Matric Class 10 Results 2016: BSEB 10th Result 2016, Bihar Class 10th Result 2016 to be declared today on May 29; check biharboard.bih.nic.in