Five achievements of US Open women's doubles champion Sania Mirza in 2015
Indian tennis ace Sania Mirza added another feather in her hat by clinching the women's double event at US Open on Sunday with Swiss partner Martina Hingis.
New Delhi: Indian tennis ace Sania Mirza added another feather to her hat by clinching the women's double title at US Open on Sunday with Swiss partner Martina Hingis.
It has certainly been an outstanding year for the Hyderabadi girl, who now has won two major slams this year to take her overall tally to five.
Here are five achievements of Sania Mirza in this year:
1. After pairing up with her Swiss partner Martina Hingis, Sania reached the top of the WTA rankings for the first time in her career.
2. This is the first time that Sania won two back-to-back majors in a year – Wimbledon and US Open. Interestingly, Hingis was her partner on both occasions.
3. This year Sania has also won Wimbledon, the only major that had eluded her over the years.
4. By winning Wimbledon, she also became the first Indian woman to win a championship at the All England Club.
5. This year Sania became the second tennis player to receive the country's highest sporting honour – Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award. Leander Paes was the first to be conferred with the prestigious award.