New Delhi: One of the greatest tennis players of all time, Serena Williams is eyeing for her 22nd major slam as US Open is set to kick start from Monday.
Here are the five facts about the 33-year-old American, as she bids to defend her title at Flushing Meadows
1. Serena has already pocketed three majors of the year – Australian Open, French Open and Wimbledon – and if she manages to win the last slam of the year, US Open, she will complete her calendar grand slam and become the first tennis player to achieve the feat since Steffi Graf in 1988.
2. The number one ranked Serena has won six titles at Flushing Meadows, and if she defends her title this time around, she will register an Open era record of seven US Open crowns.
3. By wining the US Open singles title in 1999, she became the first black woman to win a grand slam professional tennis tournament since Althea Gibson in 1958.
4. It was at the US Open where Serena won her maiden singles major title at the age of 17.
5. Serena has 21 majors under her belt and if she manages to lift the US Open crown, she will also draw level with the Steffi Graf's Open era record of 22 major titles.