Uttar Pradesh tennis body`s treasurer resigns
Lucknow: Amid controversy over players withdrawing from the ITF Women`s Future Tennis Tournament citing security reasons, the treasurer of the Uttar Pradesh Tennis Association has resigned.
Treasurer, J S Kaul, who has claimed that over 80 players have withdrawn from the tournament due to security reasons in the state, has resigned from the post.
UPTA president Navneet Sehgal confirmed the resignation.
Secretary, UPTA, C P Kakkar Kakkar, said that Kaul`s statement regarding players withdrawing their names due to security reasons was his personal opinion.
He claimed that tight security arrangements have been made for the tournament.
He added that no player gave in writing reasons behind withdrawing the name from the tournament.
"At least 80 players, who have given their entry earlier, have withdrawn their names from ITF women tennis tournament commencing here from tomorrow citing security reasons," Kaul had told PTI on Friday.
He had said that media reports regarding rape, murder and loot in the state had probably influenced their decision.
Kaul had said that players who had withdrawn their names were from India, Australia, Sweden, France, Thailand, Ukraine, Serbia, Russia, China, Japan, Britain and Germany.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit!
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?