Uttar Pradesh tennis body`s treasurer resigns
Lucknow: Amid controversy over players withdrawing from the ITF Women`s Future Tennis Tournament citing security reasons, the treasurer of the Uttar Pradesh Tennis Association has resigned.
Treasurer, J S Kaul, who has claimed that over 80 players have withdrawn from the tournament due to security reasons in the state, has resigned from the post.
UPTA president Navneet Sehgal confirmed the resignation.
Secretary, UPTA, C P Kakkar Kakkar, said that Kaul`s statement regarding players withdrawing their names due to security reasons was his personal opinion.
He claimed that tight security arrangements have been made for the tournament.
He added that no player gave in writing reasons behind withdrawing the name from the tournament.
"At least 80 players, who have given their entry earlier, have withdrawn their names from ITF women tennis tournament commencing here from tomorrow citing security reasons," Kaul had told PTI on Friday.
He had said that media reports regarding rape, murder and loot in the state had probably influenced their decision.
Kaul had said that players who had withdrawn their names were from India, Australia, Sweden, France, Thailand, Ukraine, Serbia, Russia, China, Japan, Britain and Germany.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Elderly woman found murdered in Delhi
- IAF's mising AN-32 transporter: Satellites provide pointers, but no signs of aircraft yet
- Harsimrat writes to RS chairman for action on Jairam, Renuka
- UK warns of Brexit `shadow` on world economy
- 1st Test: Virat Kohli, R Ashwin shine as India thrash West Indies by innings and 92 runs