Uttar Pradesh tennis body`s treasurer resigns
Lucknow: Amid controversy over players withdrawing from the ITF Women`s Future Tennis Tournament citing security reasons, the treasurer of the Uttar Pradesh Tennis Association has resigned.
Treasurer, J S Kaul, who has claimed that over 80 players have withdrawn from the tournament due to security reasons in the state, has resigned from the post.
UPTA president Navneet Sehgal confirmed the resignation.
Secretary, UPTA, C P Kakkar Kakkar, said that Kaul`s statement regarding players withdrawing their names due to security reasons was his personal opinion.
He claimed that tight security arrangements have been made for the tournament.
He added that no player gave in writing reasons behind withdrawing the name from the tournament.
"At least 80 players, who have given their entry earlier, have withdrawn their names from ITF women tennis tournament commencing here from tomorrow citing security reasons," Kaul had told PTI on Friday.
He had said that media reports regarding rape, murder and loot in the state had probably influenced their decision.
Kaul had said that players who had withdrawn their names were from India, Australia, Sweden, France, Thailand, Ukraine, Serbia, Russia, China, Japan, Britain and Germany.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Italy mourns quake victims, death toll rises to 291
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport