Vasek Pospisil, Jack Sock advance to ATP Atlanta quarters
Atlanta: Canadian fourth seed Vasek Pospisil and American Jack Sock, who combined to win the Wimbledon doubles title, advanced to the ATP Atlanta Open quarter-finals with straight-set victories Wednesday.
Pospisil fired 10 aces to defeat Ukraine`s Illya Marchenko 7-5, 6-3 in 93 minutes while Sock beat New Zealand qualifier Michael Venus 6-4, 6-2 at the $568,000 hardcourt event, an early US Open warm-up tournament.
"It wasn`t easy. It was very hot and humid," Pospisil said. "It was difficult to find a balance between saving my energy and being focused. I think I balanced both really well. I won the big points. That was key."
Sock saved the only two break points he faced and won 27 of 29 points on his first serve to win in 67 minutes. Sock will next face Slovakian Lukas Lacko, who rallied to oust Uzbek sixth seed Denis Istomin 5-7, 6-1, 6-4.
Pospisil booked a last-eight date with Israel`s Dudi Sela, who eliminated American Sam Querrey 6-2, 6-4.
Taiwan seventh seed Lu Yen-Hsun took a 6-4, 6-4 first-round victory over American Alex Kuznetsov. He faces German Benjamin Becker next.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!