Vasisht, Mayukh in title round of AITA tennis
Bangalore: Karnataka top seed Vasisht V. Cheruku blasted his way to the boys Under-18 singles final in the M.P. Prakash Memorial AITA Championship Series tennis here Thursday to set up a title clash against Uttarakhand`s Mayukh Rawat.
The 16-year-old trainee of former Davis Cupper Prahlad Srinath, Vasisht demolished fifth seed Raghav Jaisinghani of Madhya Pradesh 6-3, 6-2 while Mayukh beat Rishi Reddy of Karnataka 6-2, 3-6, 6-4.
In the Under-16 singles semifinals, fourth seed Sai Pranav Ponaka failed to capitalise on his chances in the first set and went down to top seed Raghav Jaisinghani 6-7(5), 1-6. Raghav takes on the second seed N. Manaz, who beat third seed Pranash Babu 2-6, 6-1, 6-4 in an all Tamil Nadu semifinal.
Top seed Rashmika Rajan of Karnataka, who trailed 1-4 in the first set, rallied to beat third seed Shivani Amineni of Andhra Pradesh 7-5, 6-2 in the girls Under-16 semifinal.
The prospect of an all-Karnataka final was dashed when an indisposed Shivani Manjanna a gave walk over to Shrivalli Rashmika of Andhra Pradesh in the other semifinal.
Eighth seed Harsha Sai Challa of Andhra Pradesh stopped Nikita Pinto of Karnataka at 6-4, 6-3 in the Under-18 semi-final and will meet sixth seed Mahak Jain of Maharashtra, who beat Sai Dedeepya of Andhra Pradesh 6-1, 7-5.
Boys Under-18 singles: Vasisht V. Cheruku bt Raghav Jaisinghani 6-3, 6-2; Mayuk Rawat bt Rishi Reddy 6-2, 3-6, 6-4.
Boys Under-16 singles: N. Manaz bt Pranash Babu 2-6, 6-1, 6-4; Raghav Jaisinghani bt Sai Pranav Ponaka 7-6(5), 6-1.
Girls Under-18 singles: Harsha Sai Challa bt Nikita Pinto 6-4, 6-3; Mahak Jain bt Sai Dedeepya 6-1, 7-5.
Girls Under-16 singles: Rashmika Rajan bt Shivani Amineni 7-5, 6-2; Shrivalli Rashmika w/o Shivani Manjanna.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city