Venus Williams pulls out of Wimbledon with back injury
Johannesburg: Five-time Wimbledon champion Venus Williams has reportedly pulled out of the tournament due to an ongoing lower back injury.
The American tennis star, who has won seven Grand Slam titles in all, also pulled out of the doubles there with her sister Serena because of her back problem.
Stating that she would not be able to participate in Wimbledon this year, Williams wrote on her Facebook page that she is disappointed that she has been forced to pull out as she has always loved the Championships.
However, the former World No.1 admitted that she needed time to let her back heal, saying that she looked forward to returning to the courts as soon as possible, with her goal being to return to Mylan World Team Tennis on July 8 in Washington DC.
Williams, who won the last of her Wimbledon singles titles back in 2008, also thanked her fans for their support and assured them that they would be seeing her soon.
Williams suffered her earliest French Open exit in 12 years when she crashed to a first-round defeat to Poland`s Urszula Radwanska at Roland Garros last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption