Venus Williams to make comeback against Serena in Colombia
Milan: Venus Williams plans to make her comeback in an exhibition match against her sister Serena in Colombia next Wednesday after being forced to pull out of the US Open because of an immune system disease.
Venus told Thursday`s Gazzetta dello Sport that she has changed her diet to fill it with vegetables after being diagnosed with Sjogren`s syndrome, which can cause fatigue and joint pain.
After playing Serena in Medellin, Venus will then pair with her sister against Italian pair Francesca Schiavone and Flavia Pennetta in another exhibition match in Milan on Dec. 3.
Serena also hasn`t played since losing to Sam Stosur in the US Open final.
"I did a lot of medical therapy and a serious evaluation of my diet to understand which foods help control the symptoms better," Venus Williams told the Gazzetta, which is sponsoring the Milan exhibition.
"And that`s why I`ve completely changed my diet and filled it with a lot of vegetables. In the meantime, I`ve continued to keep myself fit with tennis and in the gym," Venus added. "I`m very confident in my progress."
Having also missed a large part of this season due to injuries, Venus` ranking has fallen to No. 103. She is planning to return to the WTA Tour in January at the ASB Classic in Auckland, New Zealand.
"The London Olympics are a big goal," the five-time Wimbledon champion said. "I would like to continue playing at my best level. I love tennis and the racket seems like it was made explicitly for my hand.
"Within the next 12 months, I`m expecting to get back to the top of the rankings in singles and doubles. I want to play all year long. I`ve still got a lot of work to do but it doesn`t scare me - I`m used to it."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details