Venus Williams to play Hobart WTA event
Hobart: American star Venus Williams has been confirmed as a starter in the Hobart WTA International in January, organisers said on Wednesday.
The seven-time Grand Slam champion, now ranked 48, will be making her first appearance in the tournament in the run-up to the Australian Open in Melbourne.
"The tournament is played on the same surface as the Australian Open, so it will be a great place to get some good match practice against tough opponents before I head to Melbourne," Williams said in a statement.
She will join Australia`s former US Open champion Sam Stosur in the event from January 5-11.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- One killed, 30 wounded by explosions in southern Thailand – police
- Iraq summons its envoy to Portugal over teenager assault
- Cara Delevingne, Amber Heard turned away from strip club
- Obama promises aid to help Louisiana fully recover from flooding
- US investigating non-travel Zika case in new area in Florida