Victoria Azarenka calls for three sets for male tennis players to ensure parity with women
Sydney: World number two Victoria Azarenka has suggested that men tennis players should play three sets to make the game more interesting for women, giving her own take on the current debate over best-of-three-sets tennis versus best-of-five.
Wimbledon champion Andy Murray had reopened the discussion in a newspaper interview last month, with the Williams sisters and Angelique Kerber among those willing to play longer, but the likes of Petra Kvitova and Maria Sharapova opposed.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, the Belarussian believes that women players are ready to accept the challenge of playing five-sets like the men, adding that since that can make problems for the scheduling, the tennis chiefs should accept the solution of shortening the men`s sets to three.
Azarenka recovered from her US Open disappoint ment with a drawn-out two-set defeat of injured sixth seed Sara Errani in the opening round-robin match of the WTA Championships, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP