Victoria Azarenka calls for three sets for male tennis players to ensure parity with women
Sydney: World number two Victoria Azarenka has suggested that men tennis players should play three sets to make the game more interesting for women, giving her own take on the current debate over best-of-three-sets tennis versus best-of-five.
Wimbledon champion Andy Murray had reopened the discussion in a newspaper interview last month, with the Williams sisters and Angelique Kerber among those willing to play longer, but the likes of Petra Kvitova and Maria Sharapova opposed.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, the Belarussian believes that women players are ready to accept the challenge of playing five-sets like the men, adding that since that can make problems for the scheduling, the tennis chiefs should accept the solution of shortening the men`s sets to three.
Azarenka recovered from her US Open disappoint ment with a drawn-out two-set defeat of injured sixth seed Sara Errani in the opening round-robin match of the WTA Championships, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?