Victoria Azarenka calls for three sets for male tennis players to ensure parity with women
Sydney: World number two Victoria Azarenka has suggested that men tennis players should play three sets to make the game more interesting for women, giving her own take on the current debate over best-of-three-sets tennis versus best-of-five.
Wimbledon champion Andy Murray had reopened the discussion in a newspaper interview last month, with the Williams sisters and Angelique Kerber among those willing to play longer, but the likes of Petra Kvitova and Maria Sharapova opposed.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, the Belarussian believes that women players are ready to accept the challenge of playing five-sets like the men, adding that since that can make problems for the scheduling, the tennis chiefs should accept the solution of shortening the men`s sets to three.
Azarenka recovered from her US Open disappoint ment with a drawn-out two-set defeat of injured sixth seed Sara Errani in the opening round-robin match of the WTA Championships, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof