Victoria Azarenka ends year with highest prize purse
New Delhi: World No.1 women`s tennis player Victoria Azarenka ended with the highest prize purse of USD7,923,920 in the calendar year.
The Belarusian won her first and only Grand Slam till date at the Australian Open in the beginning of the season and also ended the year as World No.1.
World No.3 Serena Williams is second in the list of highest prize money winners with USD7,045,975 but this year the American completed a Career Golden Slam in singles, thus becoming only the second woman to do so after Steffi Graf, Xinhua reports.
She is also the first tennis player, male or female, to hold a Career Golden Slam in singles and doubles.
To add to that, Serena also won the last two Grand Slams of the year, Wimbledon and US Open, to extend her tally to 15 major wins.
Russian Maria Sharapova, World No.2, who completed a Career Grand Slam by winning the Roland Garros in June was third with USD6,508,296. Sharapova also won the silver medal at the Olympics this year.
The following is the list of the top ten leading prize winners this season:
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?