Victoria Azarenka ends year with highest prize purse
New Delhi: World No.1 women`s tennis player Victoria Azarenka ended with the highest prize purse of USD7,923,920 in the calendar year.
The Belarusian won her first and only Grand Slam till date at the Australian Open in the beginning of the season and also ended the year as World No.1.
World No.3 Serena Williams is second in the list of highest prize money winners with USD7,045,975 but this year the American completed a Career Golden Slam in singles, thus becoming only the second woman to do so after Steffi Graf, Xinhua reports.
She is also the first tennis player, male or female, to hold a Career Golden Slam in singles and doubles.
To add to that, Serena also won the last two Grand Slams of the year, Wimbledon and US Open, to extend her tally to 15 major wins.
Russian Maria Sharapova, World No.2, who completed a Career Grand Slam by winning the Roland Garros in June was third with USD6,508,296. Sharapova also won the silver medal at the Olympics this year.
The following is the list of the top ten leading prize winners this season:
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply