Victoria Azarenka secures No.1 ranking
Istanbul: Victoria Azarenka defeated China`s Li Na at the USD 4.9 million WTA Championships here, a result that ensures the Belarusian holds the World No.1 spot at the end of the tennis season.
Azarenka completed a 7-6(4), 6-3 win over Li Na in her final group stage match to book a semifinal encounter with World No.2 Sharapova, which the Russian eventually lost Saturday.
Azarenka first reached top of the rankings since winning the Australian Open, her first Grand Slam singles title.
The Belarusian lost her first place to Maria Sharapova in June, when the Russian won the French Open, but regained it after Wimbledon.
"It`s a dream come true and I feel great. Now I just want to play my last matches of the year and then after that I can relax and enjoy this moment more," Azarenka said after the match.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- India, Bangladesh enclave residents get freedom after 68 years