Victoria Azarenka secures No.1 ranking
Istanbul: Victoria Azarenka defeated China`s Li Na at the USD 4.9 million WTA Championships here, a result that ensures the Belarusian holds the World No.1 spot at the end of the tennis season.
Azarenka completed a 7-6(4), 6-3 win over Li Na in her final group stage match to book a semifinal encounter with World No.2 Sharapova, which the Russian eventually lost Saturday.
Azarenka first reached top of the rankings since winning the Australian Open, her first Grand Slam singles title.
The Belarusian lost her first place to Maria Sharapova in June, when the Russian won the French Open, but regained it after Wimbledon.
"It`s a dream come true and I feel great. Now I just want to play my last matches of the year and then after that I can relax and enjoy this moment more," Azarenka said after the match.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi