Victoria Azarenka secures No.1 ranking
Istanbul: Victoria Azarenka defeated China`s Li Na at the USD 4.9 million WTA Championships here, a result that ensures the Belarusian holds the World No.1 spot at the end of the tennis season.
Azarenka completed a 7-6(4), 6-3 win over Li Na in her final group stage match to book a semifinal encounter with World No.2 Sharapova, which the Russian eventually lost Saturday.
Azarenka first reached top of the rankings since winning the Australian Open, her first Grand Slam singles title.
The Belarusian lost her first place to Maria Sharapova in June, when the Russian won the French Open, but regained it after Wimbledon.
"It`s a dream come true and I feel great. Now I just want to play my last matches of the year and then after that I can relax and enjoy this moment more," Azarenka said after the match.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister