Victoria Azarenka starts season with win
Moscow: World No.1 Victoria Azarenka overcame the first hurdle of the new season on Wednesday with a straight-sets win over former Wimbledon semi-finalist Sabine Lisicki at the Brisbane International.
Azarenka showed few signs of off-season rust in the 6-3, 6-3 second-round win and now faces a quarter-final against Kazakh qualifier Ksenia Pervak, who upset former world No.1 Caroline Wozniacki in the first round.
The Belarusian played a disciplined game against Germany`s Lisicki, who was seeking to recover from a poor end to last season and took a high-risk approach with 36 winners and the same number of unforced errors.
Azarenka has now won all four of her meetings with Lisicki, who is ranked 37th in the world, all four matches played on hard courts.
Elsewhere, third seed Serena Williams learned she will face fellow American Sloane Stephens in the quarter-finals after the young Floridian beat Sweden`s Sofia Arvidsson 6-3, 6-4.
Fourth seed Angelique Kerber of Germany set up a quarter-final clash with Russia`s Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova, but was made to fight all the way for a 3-6, 6-4, 7-6(7) win over Puerto Rican qualifier Monica Puig.
In the men`s draw, French third seed Gilles Simon came through a tight match to beat Colombia`s Alejandro Falla 7-6(5), 7-6(5) in the second round, while Japanese fifth seed Kei Nishikori reached the quarters with a straight 6-3, 6-3 victory over Spaniard Tommy Robredo.
The only shock came when veteran Cypriot Marcos Baghdatis beat sixth seed Florian Mayer of Germany 6-4, 6-2.
Ukraine`s Alexandr Dolgopolov faces Finland`s Jarkko Nieminen in the second round later Wednesday.
The Brisbane International is a USD 437,000 tournament on the men`s ATP and women`s WTA tours and is seen as a major warm-up event for the Australian Open, and this year`s event boasts eight of the top ten players in the women`s game.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India