Victory for Paes on 40th birthday
Eastbourne (Britain): Indian tennis legend Leander Paes celebrated his 40th birthday with a victory in first round of the men`s doubles event at the Aegon International here.
Seeded third, Paes and his Czech partner Radek Stepanek advanced to the quarterfinals after posting a 5-7 7-6(5) 10-6 win in one hour and 35 minutes over Croat-Brazilian duo of Ivan Dodig and Marcelo Melo on the grass courts of Devonshire Park last night.
After losing the close first set, the Indo-Czech pairing fought back to win the second in the tiebreaker and dominated the super tiebreak to make the last-eight clash.
The third seeds converted three of the five break points they got in the match.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- US zoo kills gorilla after 3-year-old boy falls into enclosure
- EC cancels polls for two remaining Tamil Nadu Assembly seats - Know why
- Cloudbursts, rainfall in Tehri district of Uttarakhand; Gangotri-Kedarnath road closed, pilgrims stranded
- WATCH HIGHLIGHTS: Real Madrid vs Atletico Madrid - UEFA Champions League final
- Daniel Craig 'exhausted' from playing James Bond