Vishnu ousts Sunil, Yuki dumps Vivek at National Tennis Ch`hip
New Delhi: Vishnu Vardhan, who made a very impressive Davis Cup debut recently, edged past former champion Sunil Sipeya while Yuki Bhambri decimated Vivek Shokeen to advance to the second round of the Fenesta National Tennis Championship, on Tuesday.
Vardhan faced some stiff competition from 1999 champion Sipeya before prevailing 7-6 (3) 6-3 in his opening match.
Yuki, who has been struggling with injuries ever since his transition from junior to senior circuit started, showed he was getting back his rhythm with a crushing 6-1 6-1 win.
Yuki had risen to prominence a few years back when he had defeated Vivek at this very venue during the national championship.
In the women`s singles, veteran Rushmi Chakravarty scored a dominating 6-1, 6-0 victory over Delhi girl Vaniya Dangwal.
Former champion Isha Lakhani won her second match in a row as she outclassed Aishwarya Aggarwal 6-0, 6-1. Aggarwal had shown a lot of promise during her junior days but has not been able to realise her potential.
Yuki`s cousin Prerna Bhambri lost to Rutuja Bhosle 2-6, 6-4, 5-7.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- AIB: Polythene ban - Do we care enough?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam