Vishnu ousts Sunil, Yuki dumps Vivek at National Tennis Ch`hip
New Delhi: Vishnu Vardhan, who made a very impressive Davis Cup debut recently, edged past former champion Sunil Sipeya while Yuki Bhambri decimated Vivek Shokeen to advance to the second round of the Fenesta National Tennis Championship, on Tuesday.
Vardhan faced some stiff competition from 1999 champion Sipeya before prevailing 7-6 (3) 6-3 in his opening match.
Yuki, who has been struggling with injuries ever since his transition from junior to senior circuit started, showed he was getting back his rhythm with a crushing 6-1 6-1 win.
Yuki had risen to prominence a few years back when he had defeated Vivek at this very venue during the national championship.
In the women`s singles, veteran Rushmi Chakravarty scored a dominating 6-1, 6-0 victory over Delhi girl Vaniya Dangwal.
Former champion Isha Lakhani won her second match in a row as she outclassed Aishwarya Aggarwal 6-0, 6-1. Aggarwal had shown a lot of promise during her junior days but has not been able to realise her potential.
Yuki`s cousin Prerna Bhambri lost to Rutuja Bhosle 2-6, 6-4, 5-7.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued