Vishnu upsets Bhambri, to clash with Jeevan in ITF title clash
Pune: Third seeded Davis Cupper Vishnu Vardhan shocked top seed Yuki Bhambri to set up a title clash with Jeevan Nendunchezhiyan at the USD 15000 Solaris ITF Mens Futures Tennis, being played at the Club Solaris Aquaya on Friday.
In a well contested semifinal lasting three hours, Vardhan avenged his hard court defeat in the Nationals, scraping past Bhambri 2-6, 7-6(5), 7-5.
Vardhan will take on Jeevan, who made it to the final after his opponent, Ranjeet Virali Murugesan, retired with a shoulder injury at 3-6, 6-4.
In the doubles section, Alexander Satschko of Germany and Rohan Gajjar of India edged out top seeds Vishnu Vardhan and Karan Rastogi to lift the title.
Yuki looked confident going into the singles match, breaking Vardhan in the fifth game and then holding on to his serve to win the first set, 6-2.
In the second set, both players matched each other on their serves, forcing a tiebreak.
Vishnu played intelligently in the tie break to hit three good back hand down the line winners and win the set 7-5.
In the third, Bhambri started strongly breaking Vishnu in the second game, but the later broke Bhambri immediately and held on to level scores at 2-2.
Both players held on till 5-5.
In the 11th game, Vishnu served two aces to hold his service game and go up 6-5, and in the 12th Vishnu hit two brilliant winners at 30-all to seal the match in his favour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan