Vishnu Vardhan top seed in ITF Futures for men
Mumbai: Davis Cup player Vishnu Vardhan, who partnered veteran Leander Paes in the doubles competition at the London Olympics, leads the Indian challenge as the top seed in the CCI ITF men`s USD 15,000 tennis tournament, whose qualification rounds commenced today.
Vishnu, who helped India vanquish New Zealand in the Asia-Oceania Zone Group 1 relegation play-off with a winning effort in singles as well as doubles, is the highest ATP ranked player at 267 in the 13th Futures tournament organised in the country and being held at the Cricket Club of India. The main draw starts on October 22 and the finals are slated on October 27.
Seeded second behind the 25-year-old six-footer from Secunderabad is no. 1 Indonesian Davis Cupper Christopher Rungkat, ranked 294th.
Thirteen Indians, including Vishnu, have secured berths in the 20 direct entries along with four wild cards, all from the host country, in the main draw of 32 in singles, which would be completed by eight from the three-stage qualifiers, where former Davis Cup team member Vivek Shokeen is the top seed at 1184.
Among the direct entrants is national men`s singles champion Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan of Tamil Nadu while the man he beat in the finals at Delhi is Arjun Kadhe from Pune.
The second USD 15,000 ITF Futures of the Indian season and the 14th in the country is scheduled at Pune`s Solaris Club from October 29 to November 4.
The Indian direct entrants in main draw and their rankings and seeding in bracket are: Vishnu Vardhan (267, 1), N Sriram Balaji (324, 3), Saketh Myneni (385, 4), Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan (395, 6), Vijayant Malik (428, 7), Ranjeet Virali-Murugesan (451, 8), N Vijay Sundar Prashanth (530, 12), Ashwin Vijayraghavan (836, 14), Kaza Vinayak Sharma (885, 15), Sidharth Rawat (932, 17), Ramkumar Ramanathan (1046, 18), Mohit Mayur Jayaprakash (1091, 19), Ajai Selvaraj (1131, 20). Foreign entrants in main draw: Christopher Rungkat (Indonesia, 294, 2), Liang-Chi Huang (Taipei, 387, 5), Mate Pavic (Croatia, 465, 9), Nicolas Reissig (Austria, 515, 10), Reid Carleton (USA, 518, 11), James Marsalek (Britain, 581, 13), Chieh-Fu Wang (Taipei, 912, 16).
Wild card recipients: P C Vignesh, 1192, 21), Kunal Anand (1272, 22), Arjun Kadhe (1422, 23) and Purav Raja (24). Results (1st qualifying round) (all from India unless stated otherwise): William Kendall (USA) bt J Panigrahi 6-0 6-0; Rohan Gide bt Rohit Jain 6-2 6-2; Sagar Ahuja bt Sameer Paranjape 6-3 2-6 6-3; Shekhar H Jaiswal bt Dinesh Suyal 6-0 6-1; Arpit Sharma bt Bhomik Saini 6-1 6-1; Ting Yu Chuang (Tpe) bt Bharatram Balajee 6-3 6-1; Gagan Sharma bt Dipanshu Garg 6-1 6-2; Yash Deshpande bt Prashant Soodamani 6-0 6-1; Chinmay Pradhan bt Suyash Chopra 6-2 6-0; Bruhad Mankad bt Aroon Khatter 6-3 6-4; Peng Chih Hsueh (Tpe) bt Vikram Naidu Srinivas 6-3 6-2; Yashas Umesh bt Prashant Sawant 4-6 6-4 6-1; Senthil Kumar Vijayarajeshwaran bt Neishit Vakil 6-7 (4) 6-4 6-3; Anvit Bendre bt Maninder Singh 6-1 6-1; Sebastian Ofner (Aut) bt Shahbaaz Khan 6-3 6-4.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared