Wawrinka beats Hanescu in three sets to reach last eight
Buenos Aires: Swiss second seed Stanislas Wawrinka was pushed again to three sets before he progressed to the quarter-finals of the Buenos Aires Open on Wednesday.
The world number 15, stretched by Argentine Carlos Berlocq in the first round on Tuesday, beat Romanian veteran Victor Hanescu 6-7, 6-1, 7-6 in the second round of the claycourt tournament.
Wawrinka told a courtside television reporter he did not mind meeting another Argentine in the quarter-finals, former champion Juan Monaco or Eduardo Schwank who were playing last.
Gaining in confidence on a surface he is not comfortable with, the Swiss jokingly allowed himself to look further ahead saying in broken Spanish: "I don`t mind having the crowd against me. The atmosphere will be good on Sunday."
Argentine eighth seed Juan Ignacio Chela and Spanish fourth seed Albert Montanes will meet in another quarter-final.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- VIDEO: Ambidextrous Sri Lankan Kamindu Mendis bowling with both hands
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic