Wawrinka close to passing Federer in ATP`s Race to London rankings
New York: Swiss tennis player Stanislas Wawrinka has expanded his schedule in a bid to qualify for the season-ending ATP World Tour Finals in London for the first time and can overtake Roger Federer soon.
According to Tennis.com, Wawrinka recently beat Dmitry Tursunov, 2-6, 6-3, 7-6 (3), to reach the Malaysian Open semifinals.
The player is currently in eighth place in the ATP Points Race, but world No. 3 Andy Murray is considered doubtful for the event due to his recent back surgery, the report said.
Wawrinka, who has 2,925 points, is just 130 points behind six-time ATP World Tour Finals champion and fellow Swiss Roger Federer in the point`s race, the report added.
If he beats Julien Benneteau on Saturday he will pass Federer in the race, the report further said.
Wawrinka said that it was every player`s dream to play in London because it was something big and amazing, but it was better for him to take care of what is happening right now, adding that he would need to play well and win matches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice