Wawrinka confirms participation for Chennai Open
Chennai: World number 17 and defending champion Stanislas Wawrinka of Switzerland has confirmed participation in the Aircel Chennai Open -- a tournament he has participated over five seasons.
The 27-year-old Swiss has witnessed India`s and South Asia`s only ATP World Tour tennis event grow from strength to strength into the USD 430,000 event it is now. He won his third career ATP World Tour title in Chennai last year.
Choosing the tournament to kick start his new 2013 season campaign feels the event provides him with a great platform to set off.
"The tournament has become huge over the years and it`s great to see how amazing it gets from year to year," he said.
"I adore the spectators and preparing for Chennai has a very relaxing feeling to it. Support from the crowds is probably the main reason I come back," he added.
Though there are higher-ranked players in the draw, Wawrinka is definitely one to watch out for.
The current season has been a good one for Wawrinka. He put up a solid performance in Cincinnati against World number two Roger Federer and would be looking to build on that momentum in 2013.
Though many would think that his greatest achievement until now has been his gold medal victory for Switzerland in the men`s doubles event in the Beijing Olympics partnering multiple Grand Slam winning compatriot Roger Federer, he feels the best is yet to come.
Wawrinka began playing tennis at the age of eight and was coached by Dimitri Zavialoff since then before the pair split after Wimbledon in June 2010.
"Life goes on when you change coaches. I have had to grow up and I`m excited about the future, he said while recollecting his association with the coach.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Revealed! How Diana Penty prepped up for her character in 'Happy Bhag Jayegi' – Details inside
- No more surge pricing for Ola, Uber, others; all taxis to charge govt-set fares in Delhi from today
- Flood situation remains grim in UP, MP and Bihar; Ganga flowing above danger mark
- Grand welcome back home: PV Sindhu, Pullela Gopichand thank Telangana government for wonderful reception
- Imtiaz Ali permitted Shah Rukh Khan to upload this picture from the sets of 'The Ring'! – View inside