Wawrinka confirms participation for Chennai Open
Chennai: World number 17 and defending champion Stanislas Wawrinka of Switzerland has confirmed participation in the Aircel Chennai Open -- a tournament he has participated over five seasons.
The 27-year-old Swiss has witnessed India`s and South Asia`s only ATP World Tour tennis event grow from strength to strength into the USD 430,000 event it is now. He won his third career ATP World Tour title in Chennai last year.
Choosing the tournament to kick start his new 2013 season campaign feels the event provides him with a great platform to set off.
"The tournament has become huge over the years and it`s great to see how amazing it gets from year to year," he said.
"I adore the spectators and preparing for Chennai has a very relaxing feeling to it. Support from the crowds is probably the main reason I come back," he added.
Though there are higher-ranked players in the draw, Wawrinka is definitely one to watch out for.
The current season has been a good one for Wawrinka. He put up a solid performance in Cincinnati against World number two Roger Federer and would be looking to build on that momentum in 2013.
Though many would think that his greatest achievement until now has been his gold medal victory for Switzerland in the men`s doubles event in the Beijing Olympics partnering multiple Grand Slam winning compatriot Roger Federer, he feels the best is yet to come.
Wawrinka began playing tennis at the age of eight and was coached by Dimitri Zavialoff since then before the pair split after Wimbledon in June 2010.
"Life goes on when you change coaches. I have had to grow up and I`m excited about the future, he said while recollecting his association with the coach.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre