We will wait and see, Bopanna on Davis Cup
Chennai: Still awaiting the All India Tennis Association`s response to their demands, Indian tennis star Rohan Bopanna said he and his fellow revolting players will adopt a wait-and-watch approach before deciding on whether to compete in the upcoming Davis Cup tie against Korea.
"We have to wait and see," was Bopanna`s terse reply when asked whether the players, including top singles star Somdev Devvarman, would compete in the tie next month.
"We have not heard anything from the AITA. I think when somebody makes some points it is important.
Nobody writes an e-mail without importance attached to it," said the player on why it was important for specific demands to be sent to AITA.
His comments came after a major controversy broke out in Indian tennis after top players threatened to boycott next month`s Davis Cup tie against South Korea if their demands were not met.
Among the demand raised by the players are replacement for non-playing captain S P Misra and national coach Nandan Bal. The players have also asked for a physiotherapist`s induction in the squad.
"We are looking for betterment of tennis. It is not about whether you can point out your demands only when you have achieved something. At the end of the day, we are there to make the sport grow and the youngsters benefit from it," he said.
"We want youngsters doing well and coming up through great systems like they have in the US or Europe where the Federations support all the players and help them in a big way.
"You see Czech republic won the Fed cup, Hopman Cup and Davis cup and such things help the Federation and the players, who are working as a team. Therefore, the youngsters would like to move up in their careers," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India