Who are you? Guide to seeds` rivals at Wimbledon
Sport`s guide to the players hoping to cause first round upsets at Wimbledon which gets under way at the All England Club on Monday (Head-to-head -- year, tournament, surface, round, winner, score):
Novak Djokovic v Andrey Golubev
Djokovic leads 2-0
2012 Indian Wells Hard R64 Djokovic 6-3, 6-2
2011 Indian Wells Hard R64 Djokovic 6-0, 6-4
- The 26-year-old Golubev is ranked 55 in the world and is just one of a host of players born in Russia who now represents Kazakhstan. Has lost all three of his main draw appearances at Wimbledon and has never progressed beyond the second round of any of the Grand Slams.
Rafael Nadal v Martin Klizan
Nadal leads 1-0
2013 French Open Clay R64 Nadal 4-6, 6-3, 6-3, 6-3
- Slovakia`s Klizan is 24 and ranked at 57 in the world. The left-hander made the second round at Wimbledon in 2012 but lost in straight sets to former runner-up Tomas Berdych last year. Best Grand Slam performance was making the fourth round at the US Open in 2012.
Andy Murray v David Goffin
- Baby-faced Belgian Goffin is ranked at 104 and aged 23. His best performance at Wimbledon was a run to the third round in 2012. It came just weeks after he recorded his best result at a major when he came through qualifying to make the fourth round at the French Open, losing in four sets to Roger Federer.
Roger Federer v Paolo Lorenzi
- Italian Lorenzi is 32, the same age as the seven-time champion but the two have never played each other despite their veteran status. The world number 81 has never won a match at a major in his 11-year career. His modest on-court achievements have led him to study medicine in Siena as a future career path.
Serena Williams v Anna Tatishvili
Williams leads 2-0
2013 French Open Clay R128 Williams 6-0, 6-1
2013 Bastad Clay R16 Williams 6-2, 6-3
- World number 114 Tatishvili was born in Tbilisi but took US citizenship in April this year. Yet to get beyond the second round at Wimbledon but made the fourth round of the US Open in 2012 where she lost in straight sets to Victoria Azarenka.
Li Na v Paula Kania
- Polish 21-year-old Kania, the world 175, has qualified for her first Grand Slam tournament and has only won one match on the WTA Tour in her career, spending the majority of her time on the second-tier ITF circuit. Her six-year career has yielded $142,217 compared to Li`s $16,598,407.
Maria Sharapova v Samantha Murray
- British 26-year-old Murray is ranked at 242 in the world and needed a wild card to play in the main draw just as she did in 2013 when she lost to Camila Giorgi. Has spent the year playing at the sport`s outposts such as Preston, Heraklion and Gifu.
Simona Halep v Teilana Pereira
- Brazil`s Pereira, aged 25 and ranked 91, has made the main draw for the first time after three failed attempts to qualify. Prefers clay to grass, having made the semi-finals in Rio but will be aware that French Open runner-up Halep, the world number three, has never got beyond the second round at Wimbledon.