Who will dethrone Serena Williams?
Zee Media Bureau/Manushree Chaumal
Istanbul: Serena Williams has finished one of her best seasons after winning the WTA title in Istanbul for the second consecutive year.
This has come as no surprise to the tennis fraternity, considering the remarkable season she has had in 2013. She clinched the number 1 ranking last month for the third time, has ended the season with a 78-4 win-lose record with her 11th title of the season that includes wining two Majors.
She now stands way apart from her contemporaries. With 13260 points, she leads the ranking charts. Victoria Azarenka, the number two player is at 8046. Li Na is third with 6045 and Maria Sharapova is fourth at 5891 while Agnieszka Radwanska is number 5 at 5875.
Clearly, the figures say it all. The gap of more than 5000 points between the number one and two players is the evidence of Serena’s dominance this season. The difference of points among the rest four is marginal while Serena stands way ahead.
This also brings us to a debate whether Serena really has any competitor in the current era? Azarenka, saw success in early part of the year but could not continue her winning streaks. She won the Australian Open for the second consecutive year, defeated Williams in the Cincinnati Open but lost five finals of the six she reached. Li, Radwanska haven’t had much success against Serena either. Maria Sharapova hasn’t won against Serena in eight years and holds a 2-14 record against Williams.
None of her contemporaries are really a threat to Williams who it seems is growing younger with age. She won her 17th Major and is inching close to Martina Navratilova and Chris Evert’s records of 18 majors. At the rate with which she is winning, it will come as no surprise even if she surpasses Steffi Graf’s 22 and Maragaret Court’s 24 Majors!
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Monsoon's after-effects troubling everyday lives in cities
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- Varun-Shraddha's `ABCD2` holds a firm grip at Box Office!
- School director beaten to death after two students found dead in Bihar