Who will dethrone Serena Williams?
Zee Media Bureau/Manushree Chaumal
Istanbul: Serena Williams has finished one of her best seasons after winning the WTA title in Istanbul for the second consecutive year.
This has come as no surprise to the tennis fraternity, considering the remarkable season she has had in 2013. She clinched the number 1 ranking last month for the third time, has ended the season with a 78-4 win-lose record with her 11th title of the season that includes wining two Majors.
She now stands way apart from her contemporaries. With 13260 points, she leads the ranking charts. Victoria Azarenka, the number two player is at 8046. Li Na is third with 6045 and Maria Sharapova is fourth at 5891 while Agnieszka Radwanska is number 5 at 5875.
Clearly, the figures say it all. The gap of more than 5000 points between the number one and two players is the evidence of Serena’s dominance this season. The difference of points among the rest four is marginal while Serena stands way ahead.
This also brings us to a debate whether Serena really has any competitor in the current era? Azarenka, saw success in early part of the year but could not continue her winning streaks. She won the Australian Open for the second consecutive year, defeated Williams in the Cincinnati Open but lost five finals of the six she reached. Li, Radwanska haven’t had much success against Serena either. Maria Sharapova hasn’t won against Serena in eight years and holds a 2-14 record against Williams.
None of her contemporaries are really a threat to Williams who it seems is growing younger with age. She won her 17th Major and is inching close to Martina Navratilova and Chris Evert’s records of 18 majors. At the rate with which she is winning, it will come as no surprise even if she surpasses Steffi Graf’s 22 and Maragaret Court’s 24 Majors!
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Two ISIS operatives, planning to target religious places, arrested by Gujarat ATS