Williams defeats Sharapova to win WTA championships
Moscow: Serena Williams completed a straight-sets victory over Russia’s Maria Sharapova in the WTA Championships final in Istanbul Sunday to win the tournament for the third time.
The victory ends a season in which Williams, 31, has won Wimbledon, the U.S. Open and two gold medals at the Olympics.
Williams rained in eleven aces and 40 winners as she powered Sharapova off the court in a 6-4, 6-3 win, in which she did not face a single break point.
Williams did not lose a single set during the tournament.
The American improved her head-to-head record against Sharapova to 10-2, with one of those defeats coming in the 2004 WTA Championships final.
Sharapova finishes the season as world No. 2 behind Victoria Azarenka after winning three WTA titles including her first French Open, while Williams is No. 3.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested