Wimbledon 2013, Day 7 – Serena knocked out by Lisicki as Murray, Ferrer advance
Zee Media Bureau
Updates from Day 8 of Wimbledon 2013.
It was a tough day for the home spectators. While Laura Robson was knocked out earlier in the day, Andy Murray too had some nervous moments before he defeated Mikhail Youzhny in straight sets 6-4 7-6 (7-5) 6-1. Murray will now lock horns with Spain's Fernando Verdasco who defeated Kenny de Schepper 6-4 6-4 6-4 to reach his first Wimbledon quarter-final.
Meanwhile Juan Martin Del Potro too sealed his quarter-final berth as he defeated Andreas Seppi 6-4, 7-6(2), 6-3. The Argentine will now play David Ferrer.
ANOTHER MAJOR UPSET! Yes it its true! Serena Williams has been knocked out of Wimbledon 2013 by Sabine Lisicki! The German defeated the World No. 1 in three sets 6-2, 1-6, 6-4. So we haven’t seen enough from this Wimbledon yet!
Meanwhile in the men’s category, after losing the first set 6-7, David Ferrer bounced back to topple his opponent Dodig in four sets. Ivan Dodig won the first set, 7-6 and managed to put some fight even in the second, but the kind of fighter he is, Ferrer had the final laugh as he won the match 6-7, 7-6, 6-1, 6-1. This is Ferrer’s seventh major consecutive quarterfinal. What a player!
The local crowd was left disappointed yet once again when their only hope in the women’s category Laura Robson was knocked out in straight sets by Kaia Kanepi who won 7-6, 7-5. So even though he is more of a Scottish, all eyes would now be on Andy Murray to end Britain’s Grand Slam drought.
After Petra Kvitova, it was the 27-year-old Belgian Kirsten Flipkens who defeated her opponent Pennetta 7-6, 6-4 to seal her first Grand Slam quarterfinal berth. She will now face Kvitova on Tuesday.
So we have the first player who made through to the quarterfinals of Wimbledon 2013. It’s Petra Kvitova. The Czech won her maiden Wimbledon title in 2011 and she reached the top eight after defeating Carla Suarez Navarro of Spain 7-6 (5), 6-3.
After a gap of one day, we are back to the live coverage of Wimbledon 2013. The Centre Court will hold three crucial matches today. Serena Williams will take on Sabine Lisicki in the fourth round of the women’s singles.
In the men’s category, Britain’s Andy Murray will lock horns with Mikhail Youzhny while World No. 1 Novak Djokovic will play against Tommay Haas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- AIB: Polythene ban - Do we care enough?
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown