Wimbledon:Li Na taking one round at a time
London: Sixth seed Li Na of China, who won the French Open in 2011, said being a champion is pretty far away right now after she reached the women’s singles third round Thursday at Wimbledon here.
The top Chinese player overcame a blip in the second set and rallied to beat Simona Halep 6-2, 1-6, 6-0 to enter the third round, her first return to the last-32 of this Grand Slam since 2010, reports Xinhua.
"I think I was pretty good in the beginning of the match in the first set,” said the 31-year-old, who only needed 29 minutes to win the opening set.
“But at end of the first set, she (Simona) called the official. I thought, maybe she will retire or something. I already lost concentration on the court.”
The World No.32 of Romania, who asked to receive a lengthy treatment after the opening set, found her pace in the next set to regain the momentum, causing Li Na to suffer most of her 14 unforced errors in the one hour and 25 minute match.
However, Li Na, quarterfinalist here in 2006 and 2010, calmed down to break her opponent three times and win six straight games in the third set to seal the victory.
“She kicks your ass in the second set. (Told myself to) wake up so that you should be ready for the final set,” said the Chinese.
Li Na said she was surprised to see many top players including second seed Victoria Azarenka and third seed Maria Sharapova to have stopped their journey in the second round Wednesday, when seven players in total pulled out of the Championships due to injury.
“I know this is bad, but I have to say it`s worst for Wimbledon, for history, because many stars were out of the tournament, and also so many pulled out due to injury,” said the 2011 French Open winner.
So far, Li Na, together with Serena Williams and fourth seed Agnieszka Radwanska, are the top-three ranked players in women`s singles left at Wimbledon. Li Na said she needed to go round by round.
“I only won two rounds. So it is pretty far to be the champion. So for me just round by round to do my best.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in