Boris Becker backs Djokovic for US Open triumph
Boris Becker on Sunday backed Novak Djokovic to add a second US Open to his Wimbledon title after seeing the Serb clinch a thrilling 6-7 (7/9), 6-4, 7-6 (7/4), 5-7, 6-4 final victory over Roger Federer.
Djokovic`s win followed his 2011 All England Club title and ended a streak of three losing Grand Slam final appearances.
"We`re looking pretty good now -- he`s back to number one, Wimbledon champion, obviously he`s going to take a couple of weeks off now but the next big one is the US Open," Becker, who coaches Djokovic told the Press Association.
"He lost in the final to Rafael Nadal there last year so hopefully he can go one better."
Becker, a three-time champion at Wimbledon in his playing days, hailed Djokovic for carving out victory after he had thrown away a 5-2 lead in the fourth set as well as a match point.
"He had that match point, he served for the fourth set, but Roger wouldn`t be Roger if he wouldn`t always find another shot.
"We were all dying out there, keeping it cool from the outside, but burning up inside."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing