Djokovic, Murray cross first Wimbledon hurdle
Zee Media Bureau/Chaitan Papnai
New Delhi: On day one of Wimbledon 2014, both the finalists of last editions Men`s singles event, Andy Murray and Novak Djokovic, crossed the first hurdle to enter the second round of Wimbledon. In the first singles match, played at Centre Court, the defending champion Murray crushed Belgium`s David Goffin in straight sets.
After receiving a warm round of applause from the stands, Murray wasn`t looking rusty at all in the beginning and without much sweat won the first set 6-1. Though, in the next two sets, Goffin played some fine tennis but eventually lost to the title holder 6-1, 6-4, 7-5.
On the other hand, Djokovic - the runners-up of Wimbledon 2013 and top seed of the tournament looked like a man on mission. The Serb played some fascinating tennis and didn`t give his Kazakhstani opponent, Andrey Golubev any chance to make a statement. Djokovic too smashed his opponent in straight sets 6-0, 6-1, 6-4 to justify his top billing.
Both the players looked 100 per cent fit during their opening matches of the tournament and gave clear signals that they are here to win.
The other two major contenders to lift the trophy – Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal – will play their first round matches on Tuesday. Both the players crashed out of the tournament in the second round last year.
Where seven-time Wimbledon champion Federer will lock horns against Italian Paolo Lorenzi then two-time champion Nadal will be up against Slovakian Martin Klizan in his opening match.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000km strategic road
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000 km strategic road - Part II
- WTA world rankings: Serena Williams still reigns as number one
- OP Jaisha marathon row: Vijay Goyal passes the buck to IOA, assures probe
- Xiaomi likely to unveil Redmi Note 4 on August 25
- Natural to express grief over mistreatment of Dalits: LK Advani
- Hundreds of NASA's studies now available online for free!