Djokovic, Murray cross first Wimbledon hurdle
Zee Media Bureau/Chaitan Papnai
New Delhi: On day one of Wimbledon 2014, both the finalists of last editions Men`s singles event, Andy Murray and Novak Djokovic, crossed the first hurdle to enter the second round of Wimbledon. In the first singles match, played at Centre Court, the defending champion Murray crushed Belgium`s David Goffin in straight sets.
After receiving a warm round of applause from the stands, Murray wasn`t looking rusty at all in the beginning and without much sweat won the first set 6-1. Though, in the next two sets, Goffin played some fine tennis but eventually lost to the title holder 6-1, 6-4, 7-5.
On the other hand, Djokovic - the runners-up of Wimbledon 2013 and top seed of the tournament looked like a man on mission. The Serb played some fascinating tennis and didn`t give his Kazakhstani opponent, Andrey Golubev any chance to make a statement. Djokovic too smashed his opponent in straight sets 6-0, 6-1, 6-4 to justify his top billing.
Both the players looked 100 per cent fit during their opening matches of the tournament and gave clear signals that they are here to win.
The other two major contenders to lift the trophy – Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal – will play their first round matches on Tuesday. Both the players crashed out of the tournament in the second round last year.
Where seven-time Wimbledon champion Federer will lock horns against Italian Paolo Lorenzi then two-time champion Nadal will be up against Slovakian Martin Klizan in his opening match.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray