Doubles pair Errani and Vinci complete career grand slam
London: Italian duo Sara Errani and Roberta Vinci completed a career grand slam after beating Timea Babos and Kristina Mladenovic 6-1 6-3 in the women`s doubles final at Wimbledon on Saturday.
Playing in their first final at the All England Club, the No.2 seeds became the first pair to win all four grand slams since Venus and Serena Williams in 2001.
With the rain pouring down in southwest London, the roof on Centre Court was closed and the four-times grand slam winners dominated the opening set, wrapping it up in 27 minutes.
Hungarian Babos and Frenchwoman Mladenovic, who ousted top seeds Su-Wei Hsieh and Peng Shuai en route to the title match, offered more resistance in the second set but suffered a decisive break in the sixth game.
Victory for Errani and Vinci means they add the Wimbledon crown to their trophy collection having won the last two Australian Open titles as well as the French and U.S Opens in 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Read: What Salman Khan has to say about Akshay's 'Singh Is Bliing'