Eugenie Bouchard pulls out of Washington WTA tournament
Washington: Wimbledon finalist Eugenie Bouchard has withdrawn from next week`s WTA and ATP tournament in Washington because of medical reasons, organizers said Thursday.
Tournament director Jeff Newman said in a statement that WTA officials had informed the tournament that Bouchard requested a medical withdrawal, although no particular injury or illness was specified.
Wimbledon semi-finalist Lucie Safarova will now be the tournament`s top seed.
Bouchard, 20, became the first Canadian to play in a Grand Slam singles final at Wimbledon, but suffered a brutal 6-3, 6-0 beating by Czech Petra Kvitova.
The Washington tournament features three of the top 10 ranked players on the ATP Tour in Czech Tomas Berdych, Canadian Milos Raonic and Bulgarian Grigor Dimitrov.
Czech Safarova and American Sloane Stephens headline the women`s field, which also features former world number two and Grand Slam champion Svetlana Kuznetsova of Russia.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan