Eugenie Bouchard pulls out of Washington WTA tournament
Washington: Wimbledon finalist Eugenie Bouchard has withdrawn from next week`s WTA and ATP tournament in Washington because of medical reasons, organizers said Thursday.
Tournament director Jeff Newman said in a statement that WTA officials had informed the tournament that Bouchard requested a medical withdrawal, although no particular injury or illness was specified.
Wimbledon semi-finalist Lucie Safarova will now be the tournament`s top seed.
Bouchard, 20, became the first Canadian to play in a Grand Slam singles final at Wimbledon, but suffered a brutal 6-3, 6-0 beating by Czech Petra Kvitova.
The Washington tournament features three of the top 10 ranked players on the ATP Tour in Czech Tomas Berdych, Canadian Milos Raonic and Bulgarian Grigor Dimitrov.
Czech Safarova and American Sloane Stephens headline the women`s field, which also features former world number two and Grand Slam champion Svetlana Kuznetsova of Russia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened