Eugenie Bouchard pulls out of Washington WTA tournament
Washington: Wimbledon finalist Eugenie Bouchard has withdrawn from next week`s WTA and ATP tournament in Washington because of medical reasons, organizers said Thursday.
Tournament director Jeff Newman said in a statement that WTA officials had informed the tournament that Bouchard requested a medical withdrawal, although no particular injury or illness was specified.
Wimbledon semi-finalist Lucie Safarova will now be the tournament`s top seed.
Bouchard, 20, became the first Canadian to play in a Grand Slam singles final at Wimbledon, but suffered a brutal 6-3, 6-0 beating by Czech Petra Kvitova.
The Washington tournament features three of the top 10 ranked players on the ATP Tour in Czech Tomas Berdych, Canadian Milos Raonic and Bulgarian Grigor Dimitrov.
Czech Safarova and American Sloane Stephens headline the women`s field, which also features former world number two and Grand Slam champion Svetlana Kuznetsova of Russia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days