Eugenie Bouchard pulls out of Washington WTA tournament
Washington: Wimbledon finalist Eugenie Bouchard has withdrawn from next week`s WTA and ATP tournament in Washington because of medical reasons, organizers said Thursday.
Tournament director Jeff Newman said in a statement that WTA officials had informed the tournament that Bouchard requested a medical withdrawal, although no particular injury or illness was specified.
Wimbledon semi-finalist Lucie Safarova will now be the tournament`s top seed.
Bouchard, 20, became the first Canadian to play in a Grand Slam singles final at Wimbledon, but suffered a brutal 6-3, 6-0 beating by Czech Petra Kvitova.
The Washington tournament features three of the top 10 ranked players on the ATP Tour in Czech Tomas Berdych, Canadian Milos Raonic and Bulgarian Grigor Dimitrov.
Czech Safarova and American Sloane Stephens headline the women`s field, which also features former world number two and Grand Slam champion Svetlana Kuznetsova of Russia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video