Junior title best for Bouchard after Wimbledon horror show
London: Eugenie Bouchard said she cherishes her 2012 Wimbledon junior title more than her maiden appearance in a Grand Slam final which ended in a rapid-fire 6-3, 6-0 humbling by Petra Kvitova.
The 20-year-old, the first Canadian to play in a Grand Slam singles final, suffered a brutal 55-minute dissection by the 2011 champion from the Czech Republic, temporarily denting her new-found status as the modern poster girl of the sport.
"I still think my junior title was better than this. I think winning a tournament without losing a match is always something special. That was a big moment for me," said the Montreal native."
"But I appreciate what I`ve done these past few weeks, though and this whole year. I think it comes close."
Bouchard was playing in only her sixth Grand Slam event and had reached the semi-finals of both the Australian and French Opens this year before her run to the final at Wimbledon. She also collected her first professional tournament title in Nuremburg in the run-up to Roland Garros and will next week be in the top 10 for the first time.
Her number seven ranking will be a new high for Canada after Carling Bassett had reached a high of eight back in 1985. "I think it`s a tough road to try to become as good as I want to be no matter what. I`m not going to win every single time. I think this was a good experience for me, my first slam final," she said.
"I am very motivated to win a Grand Slam. It`s been a lifelong dream of mine. I feel like I`ve taken steps in the right direction to achieve that. This year I`ve been close in every slam, so I`m just going to keep going."
Despite her defeat, where she was blasted off court by Kvitova`s heavy artillery of 28 winners in the fastest final in 31 years, the tall, blonde Bouchard is destined for staggering riches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday