Meet Rufus the hawk who`s the real star of Wimbledon!
Sydney: A hawk is reportedly the real star of Wimbledon, as it protects the world`s most prestigious tennis tournament from pigeons every year.
Rufus, a woodland hawk, patrols the skies above Wimbledon from 5am to 9am everyday to scare off pigeons, which love to feast on the courts` grass seeds.
According to News.com.au, Rufus` handler Imogen Davis said that they use the hawk as a nonlethal deterrent.
Davis told a British newspaper that Rufus flies when he is not hungry enough to eat the pigeons, but not full enough to ignore them either.
Davis, who has formed a strong bond with the hawk, said that two years ago Rufus was stolen, which was the biggest disaster she could ever predict.
The handler said that the press attention must have frightened the thief, because Rufus was returned on Sunday, but it was the worst weekend imaginable and she dose not let her out of my sight now.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday