Meet Rufus the hawk who`s the real star of Wimbledon!
Sydney: A hawk is reportedly the real star of Wimbledon, as it protects the world`s most prestigious tennis tournament from pigeons every year.
Rufus, a woodland hawk, patrols the skies above Wimbledon from 5am to 9am everyday to scare off pigeons, which love to feast on the courts` grass seeds.
According to News.com.au, Rufus` handler Imogen Davis said that they use the hawk as a nonlethal deterrent.
Davis told a British newspaper that Rufus flies when he is not hungry enough to eat the pigeons, but not full enough to ignore them either.
Davis, who has formed a strong bond with the hawk, said that two years ago Rufus was stolen, which was the biggest disaster she could ever predict.
The handler said that the press attention must have frightened the thief, because Rufus was returned on Sunday, but it was the worst weekend imaginable and she dose not let her out of my sight now.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- RBI to lower rates by another 0.50% in FY17: Morgan Stanley
- Telcos take cover under new technology to mask call drops
- Black money: PM Modi to visit Switzerland, discuss issue with Swiss Prez
- Indian discus thrower Seema Punia qualifies for 2016 Rio Olympics
- Karan Singh Grover had a great time at 'The Kapil Sharma Show', wants to visit again!