Murray defends Mauresmo from criticism ahead of Wimbledon defence
Washington: Wimbledon champion Andy Murray has been forced to defend his new coach Amelie Mauresmo from criticism by British tennis legend Virginia Wade.
Wade, who was the last Briton before Murray to win a Wimbledon singles title when she triumphed at the All England Club in 1976, said that she thought the current defending champion`s appointment of a female coach was a `joke` when she first heard the news.
According to CNN, Murray defended the Frenchwoman saying that Wade has done it a few times before with him, so it does not surprise him.
Murray said that the reason for working with Mauresmo was about finding the right personality with the right experience to help him defend his grasscourt title.
The Scot added that he thinks the former women`s number one would help him, saying that he has really enjoyed the last 10 days he spent on the court with Mauresmo.
Murray further said that if his decision helps bring more female coaches into men`s sport and women`s sport, that`s a good thing, because there is absolutely no reason why someone like Mauresmo cannot help him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!