Sania enters top-5 for first time in her career
New Delhi: Indian tennis ace Sania Mirza achieved a career-best rank of number five in the world as the new WTA doubles chart was released on Monday.
Sania, who turned a pro in 2003 and overcame a career-threatening wrist injury in between, has entered the top-five for the first time in her career.
Sania and her Zimbabwean partner Cara Black could not go deep in the just concluded Wimbledon championships, but a second round appearance fetched her crucial 130 ranking points, enough to push her in the top-5.
"Its been a long hard journey since my comeback to tennis from my third surgery when my career seemed to be over.. It is a very satisfying feeling to have bounced back from those despairing times and to be ranked in the top-5 of the world today," Sania told PTI.
Her father and coach Imran Mirza said, "I`ve always believed Sania had the potential to be a top-5 player. I`m happy she has overcome heavy odds to justify her promise."
In the singles rankings, Ankita gained one place to be 285 as country`s best player.
Meanwhile in the ATP rankings, Somdev Devvarman`s dropped 10 places to 135 as his poor run continued unabated.
In the doubles, Leander Paes remained unchanged at number 13 and was highest ranked player from the country. Rohan Bopanna dropped three places to sit on the edge of top-20.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- On 17th 'Kargil Vijay Diwas', nation pays tribute to brave Indian soldiers
- Are Saturn's rings bending? NASA releases strange image from Cassini (Pic inside)
- Curfew, restrictions continue in Kashmir
- Rio Olympics 2016: Amid Zika fears, Eugenie Bouchard confirms she'll play in coveted event
- Gionee M6, M6 Plus smartphones with marathon battery launching today