‘See you next year’! Federer put all speculations to rest
Zee Media Bureau/Chaitan Papnai
On Sunday after an epic Wimbledon final against Serbian Novak Djokovic, record 17-time grand slam champion, Roger Federer, put his retirement speculations to rest, at least for a year now. In the post match interview, FedEx hinted by saying ‘see you next year’ while looking at the crowd. It means retirement is not on his mind, at least for the next few major slams as he still wants to add a few more majors under his belt before hanging his boots.
In the Wimbledon final, though, Federer failed to create history -- of winning the eighth All England Club trophy -- after losing to Djokovic in a thrilling five setter, he proved a point that there is still a lot tennis left in him.
In a match that lasted for almost four hours of gruelling tennis proved that age is just a number for the tennis ace.
Federer won the first set and made his intentions quite clear. The 32-year-old showed the glimpse of his former self to won the first set 7-6, which went to the tie-breaker. In the next two sets Djokovic showed his well known resilient attitude to take a one set lead. In the fourth, Federer had almost lost the match when he was 5-3 down, but the Swiss held his nerve and made an excellent comeback to win the set and stretched the game to the final and deciding fifth set.
Though, the Swiss lost the final set and the match but the dramatic final certainly falls into the category of one of the best grand slam finals.
After the final, to some extent, Federer made it loud and clear that he is still a fighter and very much capable of winning a major slam or two.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!