Wawrinka sets up all-Swiss showdown with Federer at Wimbledon quarter-finals
London: Australian Open champion Stanislas Wawrinka set up a mouth-watering Wimbledon quarter-final showdown with fellow Swiss Roger Federer after edging past 19th seed Feliciano Lopez 7-6(5) 7-6(7) 6-3 on Tuesday.
The fifth seed had complained about his punishing schedule before the match but was efficiency itself as he won the pivotal points to snatch the first two sets on tiebreaks on the bowl-like Court Two.
Spanish left-hander Lopez, a regular in the second week of Wimbledon, lost seemed to lose composure in the third set as Wawrinka moved into his first Wimbledon quarter-final.
The 29-year-old`s clash with Davis Cup team mate Federer will be his third match in three days after his progress was clogged by weekend rain that made a mess of the schedule.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal