Wimbledon 2014: Djokovic, Murray, Federer eye semi-finals
London: Top seed Novak Djokovic, defending champion Andy Murray and seven-time winner Roger Federer target Wimbledon semi-final places on Wednesday, fully aware of the pitfalls of a draw which have already claimed Rafael Nadal.
World number one Nadal saw his latest attempt to win a third All England Club title shattered by Australian 19-year-old Nick Kyrgios, the world number 144, in a stunning fourth round upset on Tuesday.
The defeat was good news for Federer who was seeded to face old rival Nadal in the semi-finals.
On Wednesday, Federer tackles Swiss compatriot and close friend Stan Wawrinka for a place in the last four.
Federer will start as overwhelming favourite having a 13-2 record over his 2008 Olympic Games gold medal partner who has reached the last-eight for the first time.
But Australian Open champion Wawrinka won their last encounter on clay at the Monte Carlo Masters final in April and the two have never met on grass.
"On grass, especially when he has a big serve and a big first strike, I try to do the same. We`re not going to see that many rallies," Federer predicted.
"But if we do, you just try to manage those points as well as you can, either with variation, with power, with high-risk tennis, or maybe not, depending on how well he`s playing or how well I am playing.
"But important is that you first focus on your own serve, and that`s it. The rest sort of takes care of itself."
Djokovic, the 2011 champion, faces Marin Cilic, the Croatian 26th seed.
Cilic is the fourth Croatian man to make the quarter-finals at Wimbledon after Goran Ivanisevic (1994-1996, 1998 and 2001), Mario Ancic (2004, 2006 and 2008) and Ivo Karlovic (2009).
Cilic has a woeful 9-0 losing record against Djokovic.
Third seeded Murray has yet to drop a set at the tournament this year and will be playing in his seventh successive quarter-final at the All England Club.
He tackles Bulgarian 11th seed Grigor Dimitrov who has made this stage for the first time.
Kyrgios`s reward for beating Nadal is a clash with eighth seed Milos Raonic, the first Canadian to reach the last eight in over a century.
The two remaining women`s quarter-finals take place on Wednesday with third seed Simona Halep, the French Open runner-up, facing Sabine Lisicki, the German 19th seed who was runner-up to Marion Bartoli last year.
Canadian 13th seed Eugenie Bouchard, widely tipped as a potential champion after the early exits of Serena Williams, Li Na and Maria Sharapova, faces German ninth seed Angelique Kerber.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Maggi noodles likely to face ban in India, FSSAI orders sample examination
- Heatwave toll in Andhra Pradesh reaches 1,490
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE