Wimbledon 2014: Federer beats Muller to advance into third round
Seven-time champion Roger Federer breezed into the Wimbledon third round on Thursday with a 6-3, 7-5, 6-3 win over Luxembourg qualifier Gilles Muller.
Federer goes on to face either 30th-seeded Marcel Granollers of Spain or Santiago Giraldo of Colombia for a place in the last 16.
Federer, seeded fouth, completed his match under the Centre Court roof after rain brought an early halt to play on the outside courts.
"It was only my second match and a totally different opponent to the first one -- big lefty, coming to the net, keeping the ball short," the Swiss said.
"It was really a serving contest out there, I thought, and I`m happy I made it because the second set was tough with the rain delay and I wasn`t having many looks on his serve."
Federer sent down 25 aces and won 91 percent of the points on his first serve.
"Sure it`s nice to make aces, it`s always good for the confidence but then again, a different day with a different opponent, maybe in the next round, I might not serve that many first serves, not that many aces or my opponent reads my serve.
"It is nice to get thoses aces and those wins like that. But I`d better keep working hard."
Federer completed his match in an hour and 31 minutes and said there was no reason to hang around between points -- in stark contrast to his rival Rafael Nadal, who regularly runs through a series of tics between serves.
"I don`t take that much time, especially the points go one or two short rallies, I don`t see any point whatsoever taking more than 10 seconds between points," Federer said.
"I think it`s important also for the spectators and also especially for the TV that we keep it moving and I try to do that without trying to rush my opponent.
"I`m happy I`m able to play that way -- but not everybody can."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof