Wimbledon 2014: Paes-Stepanek bow out in semis after losing in straight sets
London: The Indian challenge at the Wimbledon ended today with veteran Leander Paes and his Czech partner Radek Stepanek losing their men`s doubles semi-final against Canadian Vasek Pospisil and American Jack Sock in straight sets here on Friday.
The unseeded US-Candian duo beat the fifth seeded pair 7-6 (7-5) 6-3 6-4 in two hours and 21 minutes to set up title date against top seeds Mike and Bob Bryan of the United States.
The Bryan brothers made short work of 12th seeded French pair of veteran Michael Llodra and Nicolas Mahut 7-6 (7-4) 6-3 6-2 in an hour and 46 minutes in the other last-four clash.
May be playing on three consecutive days took its toll on the 41-year-old Paes and his 35-year-old partner. The ageing pair found it difficult against a pair whose cumulative age was 46 compared to their 76.
Having won successive matches in five and four sets respectively, the Indo-Czech duo were not in their element.
Especially young Sock, who was brilliant with his powerpacked groundstrokes, to which Paes and Stepanek had no answer.
However Paes and Stepanek started on a positive note as they went up by a break in the first set only to lose the advantage as Pospisil and Sock took the set to the tie-breaker. The young duo were better on big points as they converted four of their eight break points.
In the second set, the all-important second break came in the eighth game when they broke Stepanek`s serve.
On the other hand, Paes-Stepanek got 10 break points but could convert only two. Whenever a service break loomed large on them, mainly Sock came up with a booming serve while on their opponent`s serve, it was Pospisil, who would hit those deep big forehand returns.
In the third set, they broke Paes-Stepanek rightaway and maintained the single break to close the match in the 10th game off Sock`s serve.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical