Wimbledon champ Kvitova into Aussie quarterfinals
Melbourne: Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova recovered from an embarrassing miss and a two-game lapse to beat Ana Ivanovic 6-2, 7-6 (2) on Monday for a spot in the Australian Open quarterfinals.
The 21-year-old Czech was dominant against Ivanovic until her game momentarily came undone near the end of the second set after she missed a routine overhead at the net to allow the former French Open champion to trim her deficit to 5-4.
She lost the next eight points to fall behind 6-5 — badly missing on a couple of wild groundstrokes — and only managed to force a tiebreaker with two big serves out wide in the 12th game.
Kvitova says it was a "very tough match to end," after she missed her chance to break Ivanovic in the ninth game of the second set.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is India indulging in peace talks with Pak despite its terrorism-inducing diplomacy?
- Why is India indulging in peace talks with Pak despite its terrorism-inducing diplomacy? - Part II
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Unlikely sporting star Chris Froome wins third Tour de France, seals place amongst greats
- One dead, two injured in Germany machete attack: Police
- Shoulder injury forces Serena Williams out of Montreal
- England vs Pakistan, 2nd Test: Hosts lead by 489 at 3rd day close
- Kashmir violence: Avoid using pellet guns against protesters as far as possible, Rajnath Singh tells security forces