Wimbledon champion Marion Bartoli to play Hopman Cup
London: Newly crowned Wimbledon champion Marion Bartoli will team with the popular Jo-Wilfried Tsonga for France to open their 2014 season at the Hopman Cup in Perth.
Bartoli blitzed the field at the All England Club to win her first Grand Slam title and will be making her second appearance at the mixed team tournament from December 29-January 4.
"It`s great to play with Jo, obviously. He`s an awesome player. We have known each other for so many years. I`m sure it`s going to be a lot of fun," said Bartoli, ranked seven in the world.
Tsonga, the world No. 8 and a four-time Grand Slam semi-finalist, said he favoured Perth to start his season as it was similar to the courts at the Australian Open, the first Grand Slam of the year.
"It`s the best preparation because it`s the same court as the Australian Open. It`s always really hot there," he said.
France is the first of the eight teams to be announced.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’