Wimbledon champion Marion Bartoli to play Hopman Cup
London: Newly crowned Wimbledon champion Marion Bartoli will team with the popular Jo-Wilfried Tsonga for France to open their 2014 season at the Hopman Cup in Perth.
Bartoli blitzed the field at the All England Club to win her first Grand Slam title and will be making her second appearance at the mixed team tournament from December 29-January 4.
"It`s great to play with Jo, obviously. He`s an awesome player. We have known each other for so many years. I`m sure it`s going to be a lot of fun," said Bartoli, ranked seven in the world.
Tsonga, the world No. 8 and a four-time Grand Slam semi-finalist, said he favoured Perth to start his season as it was similar to the courts at the Australian Open, the first Grand Slam of the year.
"It`s the best preparation because it`s the same court as the Australian Open. It`s always really hot there," he said.
France is the first of the eight teams to be announced.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part II
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part III
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part IV
- Exclusive: Home Minister Rajnath Singh in conversation with Sudhir Chaudhary
- 2nd Test, Day 3: Sri Lanka's Angelo Mathews leads from front to frustrate England
- Union minister Rajyavardhan Rathore's son bags gold at 8th International Junior Shotgun Cup
- Attacks racist but have belief in Indian govt: African envoy
- Woman delivers in Delhi Police PCR van, both mother and child safe
- IPL 2016 Final: SunRisers Hyderabad defeat Royal Challengers Bangalore by 8 runs to win maiden title