Wimbledon champion Marion Bartoli to play Hopman Cup
London: Newly crowned Wimbledon champion Marion Bartoli will team with the popular Jo-Wilfried Tsonga for France to open their 2014 season at the Hopman Cup in Perth.
Bartoli blitzed the field at the All England Club to win her first Grand Slam title and will be making her second appearance at the mixed team tournament from December 29-January 4.
"It`s great to play with Jo, obviously. He`s an awesome player. We have known each other for so many years. I`m sure it`s going to be a lot of fun," said Bartoli, ranked seven in the world.
Tsonga, the world No. 8 and a four-time Grand Slam semi-finalist, said he favoured Perth to start his season as it was similar to the courts at the Australian Open, the first Grand Slam of the year.
"It`s the best preparation because it`s the same court as the Australian Open. It`s always really hot there," he said.
France is the first of the eight teams to be announced.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Sonia Gandhi answer RSS's claim of igniting riots in the country?
- DNA: Only 4% of Indian polpulation pays income tax
- Police arrest person accused of abducting woman in Bengaluru
- Scientists find three Earth-sized planets orbiting dwarf star
- Kerala: Dalit law student brutally raped, murdered in Ernakulam
- MNS chief Raj Thackeray asks Maharashtra CM Fadnavis to quit for supporting Vidarbha
- Horror! In chilling reminder of Delhi gang-rape, woman in Kerala brutally raped, intestines pulled out
- Cong accuses PM Modi of doctoring birth details, education info; threatens to expose facts
- North Korean dictator Kim Jong-Un bans all weddings, funerals ahead of party congress: Report
- Funny video: Squirrel taunts house cat through glass door – Watch