Wimbledon 2015: Roger Federer vs Andy Murray - five key matches
Roger Federer and Andy Murray meet for the 24th time on Friday in the Wimbledon semi-finals. It`s a rivalry which stretches back to 2005.
London: Roger Federer and Andy Murray meet for the 24th time on Friday in the Wimbledon semi-finals. It`s a rivalry which stretches back to 2005.
Here AFP Sports looks at five key clashes between the two players:
2005 - Thailand Open
Federer wins 6-3, 7-5
- In the pair`s first meeting, 18-year-old Murray misses out on what would have been a first career ATP title after entering the tournament on a wildcard.
It was Federer`s 11th title of 2005 and extended his winning run to 31 -- the longest streak since Thomas Muster in 1995. Murray`s consolation was seeing his ranking move into the top 70.
2008 - US Open final
Federer wins 6-2, 7-5, 6-2
- A fourth meeting but first at a Grand Slam and Murray`s maiden appearance in a final at the majors.
Murray had beaten Federer in their last two clashes on the tour but the Swiss was the four-time defending champion in New York.
Federer clinched victory in under two hours as he claimed his fifth title and 13th career major.
2012 - Wimbledon final
Federer wins 4-6, 7-5, 6-3, 6-4
- Federer, 30, rolled back the years on Centre Court to clinch his seventh Wimbledon, 17th Grand Slam crown and complete his return to the top of the world rankings. His victory matched the record of Pete Sampras`s Wimbledon title tally.
Murray was in tears after failing to become the first British man to win Wimbledon since 1936. Even mother Judy and girlfriend -- now wife -- Kim Sears also wept in the players` box.
2012 - Olympic Games final
Murray wins 6-2, 6-1, 6-4
- Just weeks after his tearful Wimbledon final defeat, Murray gained revenge on Centre Court to win Olympic gold.
It took Murray under two hours to complete a routine win with Federer losing nine games in a row early in the contest. He had also defeated Novak Djokovic on his way to the gold medal and didn`t drop serve in the entire tournament.
A month later, Murray went on to win his first Grand Slam title at the US Open.
2013 - Australian Open semi-final
Murray wins 6-4, 6-7 (5/7), 6-3, 6-7 (2/7), 6-2
- The pair have met five times at the Grand Slams and this clash represents Murray`s only win. It is also the only time that they have played out five sets at the majors.
After four hours and five sets, Murray came out on top to reach a sixth Grand Slam final with Federer twice losing his famous cool and being heard to swear on two occasions.