Wozniacki backs Serena for Istanbul
Moscow: Serena Williams is "the favourite" to win the WTA Tour Championships in Istanbul next week, former World No.1 Caroline Wozniacki said after winning the Kremlin Cup tennis tournament here.
Wozniacki finished runner-up to Kim Clijsters at the Tour Championships in Doha in 2010, her second of three appearances at the event, but the Dane`s tumble to 11th in the rankings this season means she will miss out.
"Serena is definitely a favourite always, indoors she`s serving well and she has good shots," Wozniacki said Sunday, adding that it was "tough to say" who would come out on top in Turkey.
Wozniacki said she was disappointed not to have a place in Istanbul but was aiming to play well in the second-tier tournament of champions in Sofia, which starts Oct 30.
"Obviously you want to be playing in Istanbul, no doubt that`s the goal at the beginning of the season. But that didn`t happen this year and that`s just something that is sports sometimes. I`m going to go to Sofia and just do my best," she said.
Wozniacki`s defeated opponent in the Moscow final was Australian World No.9 Sam Stosur, who will be in Istanbul as first alternate for the tournament, to step in if one of the top eight automatic qualifiers retires.
"As far as Istanbul goes, I`m going there tonight, so I have one day to prepare and then if I have to play, then I`ll be as ready as what I can be. Time will tell whether or not I get to play another match this year," Stosur said.
Wozniacki beat Stosur 2-6, 6-4, 7-5 to win the $740,000 indoor hard court tournament.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory