Wozniacki, Jankovic set up semifinal clash in Charleston
Charleston: Caroline Wozniacki and Jelena Jankovic set up a blockbuster semifinal clash at the Family Circle Cup on Friday, though they had far different experiences in their respective quarterfinal matches.
Wozniacki, seeded No.1 and seeking her first title in Charleston, had a big battle on her hands, rallying from 1-3 in the second set and 2-4 in the third set to beat No.6 seed Yanina Wickmayer in the afternoon heat, 46 64 64.
"Yanina played very well today. She was cracking winners from left and right," Wozniacki said. "I knew I had to change something. If you`re down, you need to. I decided to go for my shots and stay aggressive, and if I lost that way, okay, it`s just too good from her today. I knew I would get one chance and that I had to take that one. I did and it turned out in my favor, so I`m very happy."
Wickmayer was looking for her first Top 5 win. "She`s No.1, so she has to have something why she wins all her matches," the Belgian said. "I guess it`s because on the important points she`s a little bit better than any other player."
Awaiting Wozniacki in the semifinals will be Jankovic, who rolled past young American Christina McHale later in the day in a much simpler match, 62 60. Jankovic was the champion here in 2007 and is seeded No.3 this year.
The score looked pretty easy today, but the match was a lot tougher," Jankovic said. "My opponent played really well. She has a great serve and a pretty big forehand. Maybe I was better on the important points, especially at the start of the match. I took two long games and from then on I had the momentum. But she plays very well and she`s going to be a very good player in the future."
Jankovic leads Wozniacki in their head-to-head series, 4-1.
"We`ve never played each other on clay," Jankovic added. "Obviously we know each other`s games very well, but I want to play my tennis. I want to continue to do the things I do best and not really let her do what she likes to do best."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends