Wozniacki, Vinci to clash for Istanbul title
Istanbul: Top seed Caroline Wozniacki will tackle Roberta Vinci for the Istanbul WTA title on Sunday as the magical run of 16-year-old Ana Konjuh was ended at the semi-final stage.
Wozniacki made the final with a 6-2, 6-3 win over France`s Kristina Mladenovic while second-seeded Italian Vinci brushed aside Konjuh 6-4, 6-2.
Vinci had lost to Konjuh in the first round in Auckland this season in the pair`s only other previous meeting.
"The conditions were difficult out there today with the wind, so it made everything a little harder," Wozniacki said of her clash with Mladenovic.
"I just tried to stay focused and play my best tennis and I`m glad it worked out."
Vinci leads Wozniacki 2-1 in head-to-head meetings, including beating the Dane when she was ranked number one in 2011 and also winning their only 2014 encounter.
Vinci is also on a roll, winning eight of nine matches since coming out of Wimbledon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt