WTA to fill extra slot in grass court calendar in 2015
Ohannesburg: Women`s tennis will be boosted by a new grasscourt tournament in 2015 as part of the Wimbledon build-up while Asia`s footprint will continue to grow, the Women`s Tennis Association (WTA) said Thursday, according to reports.
According to Sport24, with a longer grasscourt season already agreed, allowing players a week more to adapt after the lengthy claycourt swing, the WTA has slotted in a new tournament in Nottingham, central England.
In 2014, there will be 54 WTA Premier and International events and six 125K Series events, with the geographic spread to include 23 in Europe, Middle East and Africa, 17 in Asia-Pacific, and 14 in the Americas, the report said.
One of the big events already scheduled in Asia will see Singapore hosting the prestigious year-end WTA Championships for a record five years between 2014-2018, the report added.
The WTA said they would stage a record six WTA Premier and International tournaments in China, Taiwan and Hong Kong and four WTA 125K Series events in Asia.
A new Premier event in Wuhan, the home of the 2011 Roland Garros Champion Li Na, will make its debut in addition to two inaugural International tournaments in Hong Kong and Tianjin, the report further said.
Next year, the WTA will also host two events in Brazil for the first time, the Rio Open joining Florianopolis, the report mentioned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened