Xu Xin, Liu Shiwen triumph at ITTF World Tour Finals
Hangzhou: Top seed Xu Xin and defending champion Liu Shiwen won the men`s and women`s singles titles, respectively, at the International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) World Tour Grand Finals here.
Xu, 22, won Sunday`s final against Wang Hao in four straight games 11-8, 11-7, 11-6, 11-7 avenging his defeat that he suffered a year ago at the hands of Wang at the quarter-finals stage in London, Xinhua reports.
It is Xu`s first major title of his career. He collected $104,000 for this milestone victory, and Wang earned $52,000.
Liu retained the women`s crown beating compatriot Ding Ning in the championship match.
Liu recovered from a two game deficit to record a 9-11, 7-11, 11-9, 11-1, 11-7 win at the Zhejiang Huanglong Sports Center.
In the women`s doubles final, Singapore`s Feng Tianwei and Yu Mengyu, who qualified for the year-ending tournament after Romanian pair Daniela Dodean and Elizabeta Samara pulled out, defeated second-seeded Cheng I-Ching and Huang Yi-Hua of Chinese Taipei 11-13, 11-13, 11-8, 11-4, 11-3, 5-11, 11-2.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured