Yuki awarded wild card for Chennai Open 2013
Chennai: India`s rising tennis player Yuki Bhambri has been awarded a wild card entry into the main draw of the 18th ATP Aircel Chennai Open to be held here from December 31 to January 6.
Yuki joins an impressive field, which includes four players from the Top 20 in the world -- Czech Republic`s Tomas Berdych (No. 6), Janko Tipsarevic (No. 9), twice winner Marin Cilic (No. 15) and Stanislas Wawrinka (No. 17).
The grid also consists of Yuki`s compatriot Somdev Devvarman, who was accorded a wild card entry earlier.
In the 17th edition of Chennai Open, 20-year-old Yuki had shocked world no. 101 Karol Beck as he defeated him in just 79 minutes.
In 2009, Yuki became the first Indian to win the junior Australian Open, while recently he got the better of Amir Weintraub in straight sets to win the first ever ATP Challenger singles title of his career in Fergana, Uzbekistan in May 2012.
"We constantly look at ways to promote domestic talent and we are happy to award Somdev and Yuki wild cards into the singles main draw," Tom Annear, the Tournament Director, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- PM Narendra Modi reviews plans to counter strike by trade unions
- 'Indo-US logistic pact is not agreement to set up bases'
- Defiant Rousseff says Brazil's democracy on trial with her
- Small group holding majority to ransom: Manohar Parrikar on Kashmir
- Alphabet executive steps down from Uber board amid growing competition