Yuki awarded wild card for Chennai Open 2013
Chennai: India`s rising tennis player Yuki Bhambri has been awarded a wild card entry into the main draw of the 18th ATP Aircel Chennai Open to be held here from December 31 to January 6.
Yuki joins an impressive field, which includes four players from the Top 20 in the world -- Czech Republic`s Tomas Berdych (No. 6), Janko Tipsarevic (No. 9), twice winner Marin Cilic (No. 15) and Stanislas Wawrinka (No. 17).
The grid also consists of Yuki`s compatriot Somdev Devvarman, who was accorded a wild card entry earlier.
In the 17th edition of Chennai Open, 20-year-old Yuki had shocked world no. 101 Karol Beck as he defeated him in just 79 minutes.
In 2009, Yuki became the first Indian to win the junior Australian Open, while recently he got the better of Amir Weintraub in straight sets to win the first ever ATP Challenger singles title of his career in Fergana, Uzbekistan in May 2012.
"We constantly look at ways to promote domestic talent and we are happy to award Somdev and Yuki wild cards into the singles main draw," Tom Annear, the Tournament Director, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Bhagwant Mann posts video of security pickets on way to Parliament; MPs attack AAP lawmaker
- Mario Goetze returns home: Germany's World Cup hero leaves Bayern Munich for Borussia Dortmund
- 43 civilians dead in bombardment of Syria rebel-held areas: Report
- Rain, traffic jam and kisses - This couple hogged the limelight on Delhi road: Watch
- England vs Pakistan, 2nd Test: Axe for Steven Finn, Jake Ball as hosts seek to level series