Yuki in semis, Somdev and Myneni in quarters
Melbourne: Indian players enjoyed a good day on the ATP Challenger tour as Yuki Bhambri reached the singles semifinals of the Traralgon event in Australia while Somdev Devvarman and Saketh Myneni reached the quarter-finals of the Charlottesville event in the United States.
Eighth seed Yuki pipped fourth seed Japanese Tatsuma Ito 6-4 1-6 7-5 in the quarterfinal, which lasted one hour and 46 minutes.
The 277-ranked Yuki avenged his last year`s defeat in Kyoto against the higher-ranked Japanese, who is 105 places above the Indian in the ranking chart.
Yuki next faces second seed and 138-ranked James Duckworth. Yuki had lost to the Australian last week when they clashed in the quarter-finals of Melbourne Challenger.
Meanwhile, in the Charlottesville Challenger, second seed Somdev scored an easy 6-2 6-3 win over Denis Molchanov of Ukraine to progress to the next stage. He is now up against seventh seed American Rhyne Williams.
Joining him in the singles last-eight was Myneni, who brushed aside the challenge of American Chase Buchanan 6-4 6-4 in one hour and 22 minutes. He next faces Jesse Levine of Canada.
However, Somdev`s campaign in the doubles competition ended in the quarter-finals. He and Sanam Singh lost 4-6 2-6 to second seeded Americans Austin Krajicek and Tennys Sandgren.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow